Sunday, October 24, 2010

Heartbeat

Now that I found my new doctor we had our schedule of appointments for the next month and a half. First you meet the nurse practitioner. That person tells you all about what is going to happen at the docs, what to expect, what to eat, what not to eat, not to clean the kitty box and to wash your hands every time you touch your cat...

Well, at our 11 week appointment we were told that we were going to hear the heartbeat for the first time. Doc comes in, talks to us. Checks on how many times a day I am sick - which is a lot and not very fun. I had lost weight at this point and couldn't keep much of anything down. So she tells me to lay down and that we were going to hear the heartbeat. No mention that it might take a while to find it or that the baby might be too small still. So a few minutes go by and no heartbeat. I start to get the look of terror on my face and look at James who is trying to hide his look of terror as well. At this point the doc says, don't worry it can take a few minutes. A few more minutes go by and nothing... I burst out into tears. Yep, full blown bawling. I think she knew at that point that she should have told me up front that it could take a bit to hunt the sucker down. So, she went to her ultrasound tech and got me in to have an ultrasound within 5 minutes. Sure enough, there was the little bugger hiding behind the placenta. Shy or stubborn, you be the judge. Knowing it's mom, it's a combo of the two. And, of course the heartbeat could be seen on the screen. I asked the ultrasound tech like 5 times if she was sure it was beating. Then little Macnugget squirmed a bit to reassure me that all was well. What a relief! I just had to giggle because I didn't know what else to do after you think that something terrible has happened and the kid was just being shy.

Sorry that the pics are sideways. I don't know how to rotate them in this program. But, I think you get the point.

11w 6d profile

11w 6d alien baby shot

11w 6d hand -my favorite pic so far. I also call this the paparazzi shot. No cameras!!!

No comments: