Tuesday, April 6, 2010

Barbunyali Plaki

Today is my first day off of the week! I decided that I needed to cook today so that we have some food for the week. So, what is on today's menu you ask? Barbunyali Plaki! I had recently purchased 11 bags of dry beans. This recipe called for Pinto beans, which of course I had a bag of in the cabinet. I have never had Pinto beans before so I thought I would try this different recipe.According to vegweb.com, this is a "traditional Hellenic recipe with origins to the Armies of Alexander" and also has been enjoyed in Turkish cuisine. It finished cooking and although it is supposed to be served chilled, I enjoyed it warm with a splash of fresh lemon juice. It was pretty good. The recipe does not call for salt of pepper so the lemon really made the dish. It was very flavorful especially since the recipe called for 8-10 cloves of garlic! Not overly flavored, but a smooth flavor.
Click the link above to try this recipe! Here are the few stages of cooking.

8 cloves of garlic, 1 diced carrot, and 1 large onion cooking in 3 tablespoons of olive oil. Cook until tender.
Added the 4 diced tomatoes, freshly cooked Pinto beans, and water to cover. Simmer for 15 minutes.
The finished (warm) product spritzed with lemon.


No comments: