Sunday, March 14, 2010

Grapefruit... My new best friend.

I used to hate grapefruit. I guess every kid hates grapefruit. When I was little I had to smother it with sugar and could only eat a few pieces before passing it on to my dad. Today is much a different story!

I LOVE grapefruit! Even better, I eat it the way it is most flavorful - sugar free! Alton Brown did have grapefruit on his show the other day. He put a thin layer of sugar on the grapefruit, torched it, then sprinkled sea salt on the top. I bet it is good, but not for me. I am really trying to eat food as close to its natural state as I can.

I have found that I can find grapefruit, large grapefruit, for a $1 each at one of my local grocery stores. Due to their size, I eat half of a grapefruit for breakfast - $.50 for breakfast! Yes, half a grapefruit is not a huge breakfast, but you don't need to eat a huge breakfast. I might have a healthy mid morning snack to follow my grapefruit but nothing dramatic (like half of a bagel that I posted the other day).

Cheap and healthy - a perfect match!

No comments: